Tuesday, February 15

Overdrive ~ Angelmaker


Overdrive

Angelmaker

2011


~


I have been scratching my head lately, as I’ve come across a boat load of metal bands that have embraced the past and made a sound for themselves. I absolutely love the stuff happening today, but I can't forget my past. Being a middle aged dude, I remember the "old days" well and fondly. Sweden's Overdrive make a solid traditional metal album with their latest release Angelmaker.


The first thing I noticed about Angelmaker was the cover art: a little silly, but equally creepy. There is definitely an early 80s vibe going on here, akin to Judas Priest's British Steel/Point of Entry, but also something along the lines of Dokken's Tooth and Nail. This is noticeable not only in the style of the riffs, but as well the way the rhythm section holds the fort down.


The production on "Angelmaker" is solid and clean. The guitar solos are reminiscent of the style and phrasing that was popular to play 20 years ago, but they sound fresh. "In Gut We Trust" is probably my favorite song on the CD, I enjoy the production effects used on the vocals during the chorus. "I Know There's Something Going On" needs to be mentioned not only because it is a cover of a new-wave classic, but also because Overdrive does a great job roughing and rocking it up without losing the essence of the original.


If there’s a weakness in this CD, it’s that it is so firmly rooted in the 80s. While I do enjoy bands that embrace the 80s, sometimes it comes on a little strong. If that’s your thing, more power to ya. So, if you are in the mood for a classic 80s metal album made for today's audience, then Overdrive's "Angelmaker" might just do the trick. Kick back with your high-tops on, turn on the blacklight, and enjoy.


~ ~ ~


Live Long and Rock Hard,

SpaceKev



Space Kev's Rating: 7.75 out of 10


No comments: